Native to China, green tea is made from Camellia sinensis leaves. Camellia sinesis has evolved as a shrub which grows in sunny regions with cooler, drier climates. It has a high endurance for cold and thrives in the mountains. Originating in 2737 BC, the Emperor of China, Shennong, is said to have discovered tea. When leaves from a nearby tea tree fell into his cup of boiled water, he drank the infusion and found there may be something special about this.
Green tea includes potent antioxidants, catechins and polyphenols, which reduce inflammation and may help protect against cancers. These catechins in green tea may stop the growth of bacteria and some viruses. This lowers the risk of infections and leads to improvements in oral health, reducing bad breath, and preventing tooth decay. Containing around 35mg of caffeine and the amino acid L-theanine, these two work synergistically together to improve brain function and improve mood.
- Balanced blood sugar levels
- Lower cholesterol
- Clear, healthy skin
Ways to use Green Tea
Tea (of course)
Green tea is the most common and popular way to make use of Camellia sinensis leaves. Green tea is earthy, light and tasty!
How to brew the perfect cup:
- Heat fresh water to 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit. If you don’t have away of measuring the temperature of your water, bring water to a boil then let it rest until the boiling stops.
- Per 8 oz. cup of water (any ol mug), 2 grams (1 rounded teaspoon) of green tea is optimal.
- Measure in your tea into your preferred strainer, and let it steep for 3-4 minutes, covered so the heat doesn’t escape.
- You can expect to get multiple steeps out of one serving of green tea (1 teaspoon = 2-3 cups)
Green tea is known to stimulate hair growth and treat the scalp (good for dandruff too). For shiny and smooth hair, steep 2 teaspoons in 3 cups of hot water. Once cooled, use as a final rinse after washing.
You can purchase green tea face masks from your local pharmacy or online. Green tea on your face will:
- Fight the Signs of Aging
- Treat Oily Skin
- Reduce Acne and Blackheads
- Reduce Eye Puffiness
Thanks for reading! Check out my review on my favorite green tea!